Tenant Guide & Fees

Thank you for choosing to view a property with Baker and Chase.

Should you choose to proceed with a property, please see below FAQ’s

What fees are due?

  1. In order to start the process, we require half a month’s rent to act as the reservation fee before proceeding with referencing.
  1. Prior to moving into the property one month’s deposit plus one month’s rent is due, less the reservation fee that has already been paid.
  1. Charge of £120.00 per tenant for administration and referencing.
  1. Charge for an inventory (list of everything in the property and its condition, plus photos). This applies even if unfurnished as it includes walls, ceilings, floors, units etc. The landlord pays the check out.


  • Should the landlord decide not to proceed with the tenancy, the Holding Fee will be refunded unless the Landlords decision is as a result of you failing the referencing procedure or attempting to alter the initial terms of the proposed contract. All refunds will be subject to any administration fees charged for any status report already requested by us.
  • The Holding Fee is taken in consideration of the landlord withdrawing the property from the market pending the signing of binding tenancy agreements between you. However, please note that this document does not form part of any agreement to rent the property and does guarantee that the let will proceed nor does obligate the Landlord to rent the property to you.


What referencing do you carry out?

We require certain documents which are,

  1. Photo ID – copy of your valid passport.
  2. Visa documents if applicable.
  3. 6 months of up to date bank statements. This is so we can see your wages going in and your expenses going out. We can accept downloaded statements.
  4. 6 months of up to date payslips. (As a household you need to be earning 2.5x the amount of the yearly rent to qualify referencing.)
  5. If you are self employed we require 2 years of accounts/tax returns.
  6. We will carry out a credit check on all named tenants to ascertain whether you have any CCJs (County Court Judgements, Notices of Correction, Defaults, IVA, Bankruptcy or adverse credit history. We do not accept tenants who have any CCJs.
  7. We will contact your employer/accountant and if you are currently renting, your landlord for a reference. Please advise them to respond as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your referencing process.


Can I request any alterations to the property?

  • Please discuss any requests when you offer which must be in writing. Any requests submitted after your referencing has started may not be agreed.

What is the council tax band?

What bills do I need to pay?

  • You are responsible for paying council tax, gas (if applicable), electricity, water, TV license, digital TV (if you subscribe).
  • The rent must be paid by standing order.

If you have any questions in regards to any of the information, please feel free to discuss with the lettings team.